What to Look for in a Good Multivitamin for Women
When deciding what kind of multivitamin to take for general health, you’ll want to look for vitamins that support energy, hormone levels, the immune system and bone health.
Vitamins for Energy Production Support
If you feel as though your get-up-and-go has gotten up and left, adding these nutrients to your diet may help:
- Vitamin B12. This vitamin is vital to making red blood cells and helps neurons in your brain and nervous system work correctly. So, you need this vitamin to properly cycle oxygen in your blood and keep your mind working sharply. Vitamin B12 is also essential for pregnant women, as it's vital to an unborn baby's development. If you don't think you're getting enough vitamin B12, you should talk to your doctor about a supplement.i
- Iron. Iron helps build healthy blood cells that carry oxygen through the body and helps make certain hormones. Making sure you get enough iron is important to consider if you are a woman who experiences very heavy flow during your menstrual cycle. Women also require a larger dietary allowance of iron on average than men, with 18 mg required as opposed to 8mg.ii Vegetarians, vegans, or any woman who doesn’t typically eat red meat may want to supplement their iron intake with women’s vitamins for the additional support.iii
Vitamins for Immune System Support
The immune system functions as our line of defense against illness and infection. Here are some nutrients that help support it:
- Vitamin C. This vitamin is one of the biggest supporters of your immune system.
- Vitamin E. A powerful antioxidant, vitamin E guards against free radicals and helps provide immune system support.
- Vitamin B6. This vitamin is essential to supporting biochemical reactions in the immune system.v
- Antioxidants. Antioxidants like Vitamin C and E fight free-radical damage and support a healthy immune response.iv
Vitamins for Metabolism & Hormone Support
No matter what age, it's important to get the vitamins and nutrients you need for a strong metabolism and healthy hormones. Just like men, women need certain vitamins to support their hormone levels. To get metabolism and hormone support, try adding these vitamins to your diet:
- Folate is important for all women, whether they are pregnant or not. Folate, or folic acid, helps your body make blood cells and DNA for new cells to keep your metabolism healthy. Healthy diets with adequate folic acid can reduce a woman's risk of having a baby with a brain or spinal cord birth defect, so it's essential for soon-to-be pregnant or already pregnant women to get enough.vi
- Iodine. To support your body's production of thyroid hormones, you need iodine in your diet. Your body doesn’t make its own iodine, so it's essential to get iodine from your diet or take it as a supplement. Your thyroid and the hormones it makes help your body use energy, stay warm and keep your organs working as they should. An iodine shortage over time can disrupt your metabolism. Plus, it is an essential mineral for pregnant or nursing women.vi
- Selenium is a nutrient that's important for thyroid gland function, DNA production, reproduction, and protecting your body from free radicals. Studies suggest that selenium plays a key role in regulating metabolism.viii
Vitamins for Bone Health Support
As women age, there are more concerns about bone health. These two essential nutrients may help reduce the risk of osteoporosis:
- Calcium is critical for strong bones and teeth as well as sending messages between your brain and muscles. Women start losing bone density earlier than men, so increasing calcium intake with age is very important.
- Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium to support strong bones. If you don’t get enough time in the sun to produce your own vitamin D, women’s multivitamins can help make up the difference.ix
Women’s Vitamins Important to Support Healthy Aging
As women age, different vitamins become more important. Supporting heart health, brain health, eye health, and bone health take center stage around the age of 50 and beyond—which is why Centrum® Silver® Women is formulated to include these key vitamins.*
While there are several vitamins important to supporting women’s health at any age, finding the right daily vitamin is easy when you explore Centrum® vitamins formulated especially for women. Before adding a multivitamin to your daily routine, consult with your doctor to ensure you’re safely adding the correct vitamins and minerals to your diet.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.