What Is Biotin?
Alongside folate, niacin, pantothenic acid, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamin, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12, biotin is one of the B vitamins that make up the vitamin B complex.i These B vitamins help our bodies turn the food we eat into energy as well as support the formation of red blood cells.ii
How Much Biotin Do I Need?
The amount of biotin that every person needs varies depending on age. For adult men over the age of 19, the average daily recommended amount is 30 micrograms.iii Talk to your doctor or healthcare provider about your individual daily needs. Biotin shortages are not common, and most people are able to get adequate amounts of biotin by eating a healthy and balanced diet.iv
How to Get More Biotin in Your Diet
As mentioned above, most people are able to maintain adequate biotin levels by eating a healthy, balanced, and varied diet. Here are some foods that are rich in biotin that you can add to your diet to make sure you’re meeting the recommended daily amount of this essential nutrient:
- Sweet potatoes.v These bright orange root vegetables are delicious simply baked in their skin, but you can also roast them, add them to a breakfast skillet, or enjoy them as a mash.
- Eggs.vi Breakfast and brunch fans delight! Scramble them, hard boil them, or add a poached egg on top of a grain bowl—the options for incorporating more eggs into your diet are pretty much endless.
- Nuts and seeds.vii Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are chock-full of flavor and nutrients that go beyond just biotin. Sprinkle them on top of your oatmeal or salad, grab a handful for an easy on-the-go snack, or enjoy them in butter-form spread on crackers or fresh fruit.
- Liver.viii Meats, and organ meats in particular, are a rich source of biotin. Beef, pork, and lamb liver are quite versatile when it comes to preparation—pair braised, grilled, or pan-boiled liver with your favorite vegetables and whole grains for a dish that’s both delicious and good for you.
- Spinach.ix This super versatile vegetable can be incorporated into breakfast, lunch, or dinner—add a handful to your morning smoothie, toss it into a salad at lunchtime, or sauté it with olive oil and garlic for a flavorful green side dish.
- Dietary supplements. For extra biotin support, try adding a multivitamin with biotin like Centrum® Men to your daily routine.
We hope this article has helped you understand more about the benefits of biotin for men when it comes to overall health. For more resources on health and wellness, be sure to visit the Centrum articles.